Pages

Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Lincolnshire Wolds & Humberston Fitties

Two views across fields on the Lincolnshire Wolds.



Humberston Fitties.

Cleethorpes Railway, a narrow gauge railway that runs along the foreshore.

A storage hut built to resemble a signal box.


A sea fret coming in off the Humber.

Haile Sand Fort, one of 2 WW1 forts in the mouth of the Humber Estuary.
The two forts were planned in 1914 to protect the entrance to the estuary. They stand 59 feet (18 m) above the water and have a diameter of 82 feet (25 m). There was accommodation for 200 soldiers. Started in May 1915, they took more than four years to build and construction was not finished until December 1919.
During the Second World War they were reactivated and modernised. The forts were regularly attacked by enemy aircraft. During this time, they installed a netting to prevent enemy submarines from travelling up the estuary to Hull or Grimsby. The forts were finally abandoned by the military in 1956.
Haile Sand Fort is the smaller of the two and is situated around the low-water mark between Cleethorpes and Humberston on the Lincolnshire coast.
Bull Sand Fort is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from shore off Spurn Head. It is a 4-storey concrete building with 12-inch (300 mm) of armour on the seaward side, and originally armed with four 6-inch guns. It was built with great difficulty as its sandbank is 11 feet (3.4 m) below low water.
In 1987 it was given a Grade II Listed Building status. In 1997 it was sold to the Streetwise Charitable Trust, who are restoring the fort for use as a drug rehabilitation facility. Administratively, it is within the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Yacht berthed in the low water creek with North Cotes Point in the distance.

2 extremes out in the River Humber.

St. Anthony's Bank footpath which affords a nice walk along the edge of the foreshore.