Tuesday 1 August 2017

Harvest time in Lincolnshire.

Harvesting in Lincolnshire has started and the combiners are out in full swing.


This field of Barley is out on the Lincolnshire Wolds near Brigsley.  Not quite ready for
harvesting and has suffered a bit of wind & rain damage.


Last night, as I was letting my dog Suzi out, I heard the unmistakeable sound of combiners working in the fields about half a mile from our house.  I'd always wanted to see them operating in the dark with their big floodlights so, with camera in hand, I drove out to find an access point.
I was really lucky as I got right onto the field edge they were working in and the combiners were working toward & away from me!
Bearing in mind this was at 11.30pm and I was taking pics hand held I'm really surprised I got any pictures at all.
The sight of the big machines approaching and flooding me with their lights was exhilarating and a bit intimidating but they had already done the field boundaries so I wasn't in any danger.

This vehicle is the baling machine.


The combiner, the most impressive piece of machinery to see on any farm.
Tremendous at night with it's floodlights, harvester on the front and the chaff being 
streamed out at the rear.  Not to mention the sound!  This was what I'd always wanted to see!



A couple of bales can be seen on the trailer.

This is the baling machine.

And the whole convoy moves away to work in the opposite direction.
I was intrigued to see they were harvesting, collecting the grain, baling up the straw & leading away the baled up straw, all in one operation.

I'm pleased I let Suzi out so late.






No comments:

Post a Comment