Wednesday 13 March 2019

Barton Haven Boatyard. (Set 1 of 2).

I've photographed the boats in Barton Haven many times but on this visit I gained access to the boatyard on the opposite side of the creek, something I've wanted to do for a long time.

This is the view from the public side of the creek, a view I've photographed
on many visits here.  To the left, behind the concrete wall is "Barton Haven Boatyard".

One more pic from the footbridge.

"Barton Haven Boatyard", somewhere I've wanted to photograph for quite a while.

The boatyard is a very crowded place.

In the background is this large hand.

It was made by  Rob, one of the men at the yard.  It depicts a hand holding a Longbow
and is a scaled up replica of Rob's own hand

Strange to find this old Lancia car in the yard.


Here's Rob working on an old clinker built boat.  It's an old Yorkshire Cobble from
Bridlington.  Yorkshire Cobbles where extensively used by Yorkshire Fishermen.





A view of Barton Haven from the boatyard, quite a novelty for me.

In the background is the Waters Edge Visitor Centre.



Olympus EM10 Mk2 + 9-18mm  M Zuiko lens.

4 comments:

  1. Boatyards are fascinating places - and with some unexpected items! Unusual to find a Lancia and the hand with the arrow. Super post David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike, the "hand" is for sale. I'd love it in my garden but I would probably need planning permission!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, both of your posts on the boatyard are really wonderful, David. Great photos of both sides with such interesting details. Like Mike, I find them to be fascinating places as well. And to see a wooden boat being made is quite something special. Boatyards always seem to be very crowded places with barely room to walk and how they manage to get the boats in and out is beyond me. For 5 years or so I've seen the same hulk of a boat on a cradle in a New England boat yard and the wood deteriorates further each year so I wonder if it will ever enjoy the restoration that was intended! Wonderful posts, David, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the boats we see out of the water for years are often "projects" someone tinkers with from time to time but with no real intention of finishing.

      Delete