Wednesday 4 May 2022

03 (Louth Canal Project). Thoresby Bridge.

 My intention when starting this project was to photograph the canal mainly where the road crosses it.  This is the next point at "Thoresby Bridge".

The main cargo for the sailing barges that worked along the canal was grain.  Farmers would bring their harvested grain by horse and cart to the nearest bridge where it would be off loaded and stored in a wharf side building such as the one in the 2nd picture.  The barges took various cargos to Louth and on their way back would call at these stores to pick up the grain to take to Grimsby Alexandra Dock to be milled at the large Victoria Mill there.

Victoria Mill in Alexandra Dock, Grimsby. 

Known as "Spillers Mill"
(Taken in January 2019.)


The canal viewed from Thoresby Road Bridge with a grain store on the right.

Looking back along the canal towards Tetney Lock.

The canal was, and still is used for drainage of the surrounding farmland and ditches.

These old brick sluice gates would have been operated by hand at times of flood.
Now the job has been automated by the modern machinery on the left.

These are the wheels and cranks that once opened & closed the sluices to control water levels.




From the old sluice gates, another view along the Louth Canal.

The grain store is being renovated and already has a new roof.

Another photo from the bridge but this one shows the canals' progress on toward the next location.

Olympus EM1 Mk2 + 12-40 Pro lens.



6 comments:

  1. Hello David, Louth Canal is looking very fine in your part 3 installment. What a fab picture of the Spiller's Mill. I remember that building well from the few times I worked in Grimsby. Hmmm, I wonder what the grain store will be used for ? :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lulu, thanks for your comments. The man renovating the grain store plans to construct two holiday homes on the ground floor. Planning laws dictate that the building must remain essentially as a grain store from the outside as it's a listed building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part three is superb. I can see this series of photos becoming a coffee table book. They would make an interesting read along with the photos. Great moments in time. Look forward to the nest edition. Hope you've had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever made one book and it was a selection of photo's I took during the first lockdown in 2020. Apart from posting the series on this blog I intend to put together a talk to present to local camera clubs, but a book as well? That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion and also for commenting Mike.

      Delete
  4. I agree that this series would make a wonderful photo book with explanation and history included. Your club presentation will be great, I’m certain. These pictures are excellent and I’m getting a good idea of the importance of the canal and its role in the history of the area. Well done! For some reason I’m unable to sign in so in this case I’m Anonymous Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm certain that "Anonymus Ann" is my good friend Ann Kennedy and your comments are always appreciated. This project is gathering momentum now, I'm enjoying the picture taking process and the research. I'm pleased I started at the North Sea end as the history and the canal features increase as the canal progresses toward s the final destination at The Riverhead in Louth.
      If your signing in problems continue please continue calling yourself Anonymus Ann! 🐢 🐕 😊

      Delete