Saturday 13 May 2023

A trip across the Humber Bridge. (21 pictures).

 I recently had to go to Castle Hill Hospital in East Yorkshire for a PET Scan, described as a "full body scan".   This was to investigate a problem picked up on a CT Scan a few weeks previous in my local hospital.   My son drove me there so I took the opportunity of photographing the crossing of the Humber Estuary, via the Humber Bridge, through the windscreen of his car.  Something  I'd wanted to do on the many times I have driven over the bridge myself.  

The Humber Bridge carries traffic over the Humber Estuary from Barton On Humber, Lincolnshire
to Hessle in East Yorkshire.  This is the approach to the bridge.

The bridge seen from Barton On Humber.


Now on the bridge, this is the lead in to it.

The two large concrete blocks on either side are the anchor points for the huge suspension cables.

The bridge has two towers, this is the south tower on the Lincolnshire side.

The north tower on the Yorkshire side.


Looking over the side to the Hessle foreshore, an old mill tower and an hotel.

This is the A63 passing beneath the bridge taking traffic into Hull.

And then we reached the toll booths.

Payment is by contactless credit card or paying later on line.  ANPR cameras operate 
so no good trying to avoid payment.

Leaving the bridge and heading toward Beverly, the hospital is just before reaching there. 

Arriving at Castle Hill Hospital for my scan.

Back on the way home, arriving at the toll booths for the return crossing. 
It was by now a lovely sunny evening.

On our way over.

I took this through the side window of the car, it's a bit blurred as I forgot the car was moving.


At this point my photographers eye took over & I couldn't resist a bit of artistic licence.

Back to the Lincolnshire side, this is the Waters Edge Visitor Centre at Barton on Humber.
We've had many happy walks here with our dog Suzi in the past.  Popcorn hasn't been here yet.

Coming off the bridge on the run down to Barton On Humber.

That was a few weeks ago, I've since had the results of the scan and there's nothing to be concerned about but the doctors will continue to monitor me and I'll be having more CT scans in the future.

Panasonic Lumix TZ100 Compact camera.



6 comments:

  1. Oh I do like these photos, David. What a lovely bridge and with such beautiful views. I like the progress shots too. They're like a photo film. Thank you! I hope the scan doesn’t produce anything to worry about. Look after yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val, my next scan is in three months time, the doctors don't think there's anything to be concerned about.
      Photographing the crossing is something I've wanted to do, but needed someone else doing the driving. 😊 🐕

      Delete
    2. That's a relief, David! Keep well in the meantime!

      Delete
  2. What a superb series of photos. Never having been on the Humber Bridge it was interesting to view. Glad to read above that the scan didn't find anything serious. Take care, good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mike, it's 8 months since my operation and I'm feeling OK.

      Delete