Saturday 7 September 2024

The Gatherums, Louth.

 We have been visiting the Georgian market town of Louth in Lincolnshire for over 50 years.  Known as "The gateway to the Wolds" it's very picturesque and has a lovely atmosphere.  Just before the Covid period I was having a look around while my wife was going to a few shops and I came across an old passageway which ran through the backways of the town centre, known as "The Gatherums and Springside".  

The local people of Louth use it a lot but I doubt if many visitors go there as it goes takes you through some of the oldest parts of the town that was once the industrial centre back in the 18th century.  Some parts have been renovated with grassy areas and places to sit, but most of the buildings are quite run down or unused.

The walk runs between Aswell Street and Queen Street.  Popcorn & I walked along it recently and I took a few photo's which I've posted in the order that they were taken.

This wall plaque is the only indication that the walk is here. 

The start of the walk goes down this incline, known as "Horse Steps".  Carters would
bring their horses down here to an area called "Aswell Hole" to the various business located
along the area.  The two rows of cobbles were for the cart's wheels to run along and the centre section would have have very shallow steps  for the horses to get a foothold. 
The building seen at the bottom of the slope was once an abattoir, horse drawn carts would deliver
animals there and then take away meat.
The local water carrier would take his cart down here to Aswell Springs to get water and distribute
it throughout the town.

Along the way are some information boards telling the history of the area.

This is where the spring would have been, now covered over.  Not a very attractive area but one that really appealed to me as a photographic subject.  On the wall in front of the car is a piece of
more modern wall art.

This textured cement rendered wall depicts "Mill Reef", a famous racehorse which won many
races including the Epsom Derby and the Prix de L'arc de Triumphe.

Onwards along the walk are high walls left from the industrial past of the area.

Here is on of the area that has been made into a mini park, the houses on the left are modern.

An industrial area, the building on the left has been modernised as a residence.
those further along are more modern constructions.

Another park area with a local family enjoying that sunny Sunday morning.

Another information board telling of the businesses that once existed here.
Louth was at the centre of the Lincolnshire sheep and wool industry and, with a plentiful supply of water from the River Ludd, there were Fullers mills working here.  The Fulling Mill became a brewing mill in the 1820's to the 1870's, a water wheel powered by Aswell Spring operated the machinery.  Malting for the brewing industry also used the the water wheel.

Another plaque along the way.

The far end of the passageway as it meets Queen Street.

I retraced my steps and as I passed the car park spotted this sign which I found amusing.

Just some distance from the passage I found a yard with some of the old industrial buildings
dating back to the 18th century when this was a thriving industrial area.
This is now the a small pottery but was once stables for the horses. 


That's the end of my walk along "The Gatherums", or what I was told is locally called "Higgledy Passage".

Below follows a few images of Louth I took after our walk.  Just to show how picturesque Louth is.


This wall mural has been on here for as long as I can remember.

It's on the end of what was for many years a jeweller's shop.

Looking across the market area are some folk enjoying some outdoor refreshments.

The old Market Hall and clock, still in use.

New Street, a mainly cobbled street.

A modern pub that takes it's name from the cobbles.

At the end of New Street is a shop with the sign upside down.  It used to be a stationers
shop and, the story goes, that workmen put the sign up "upside down" by mistake and the
stationers owner told them to leave it that way as folk came in to tell them of the mistake
and then some bought something whilst in the shop!  That's what the owner told me when
I did some telephone work there shortly after they started the business.  
I suppose the new owners carried it on.

A view to St. James Church which has the tallest spire on a Parish Church in England. 

A civic building along this road, Louth is known for it's Georgian architecture.  I'm not sure
if this is, but it's very impressive.

Eastgate, the main shopping area in Louth.

Going back to our car Popcorn & I stopped to take another view of St. James Church.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the older part of Louth from when it was a thriving industrial town and also some of the more attractive areas which are what visitors really come to see.

Nikon Z50 + 16 - 50 lens.


6 comments:

  1. Oh David, I really have to visit Louth. It looks just my kind of place with both old industrial buildings and a lovely centre. That warm red brick is too beautiful.i enjoyed the signs too, especially the one about being lost and discovering somewhere you weren’t looking for. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that sign was very nice too. Thanks for viewing my post and commenting Val, take care, David.

      Delete
    2. You live in a lovely part of the country. I've just read a memoir by a woman who moved to the Cleethorpes area fro the Midlands because she and her partner fell in love with it one holiday. Lincolnshire isn't the best known county, but people who go there fall for it hard. I know I did.

      Delete
    3. Lincolnshire is a mainly farming county but does have quite a diverse selection of attractions, as you know. Thanks Val, I'm looking forward to the next post from your current excursion on the water. David.

      Delete
  2. Wow! This post is marvelous, so full of beautiful and interesting things to see, and fascinating. You and Popcorn had quite a walk on what looks like a beautiful day. You’ve given a very thorough tour of Louth and a walk through back alleyways is always my favorite, but realize those may not always be safe however what you’ve photographed looks quite pleasant and not at all risky. I hope that’s the case. I enjoyed this post a lot. Best wishes from Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a quite out of the way passageway and can easily be missed, but safe to walk. In daylight anyway. So nice to get a comment from you Ann. David.

      Delete