Pages

Sunday, 11 October 2015

Waltham Windmill (1 of 4)

Waltham Windmill is a Six sailed windmill located in the village of Waltham. The first mill on this site was built in 1666 and was a trestle post mill.  Unfortunately it was blown down in 1744 but another was soon built to replace it.  That windmill was blown down in 1873.
The building of the current mill was started in 1878 and was finished in 1880.
By 1962 Waltham windmill was one of the last windmills to be operational by wind power.  Today it is in the hands of the Waltham Windmill Preservation Society and is open to the public on various events throughout the year.

Some of the mechanism on the ground floor.