Pages

Thursday, 9 March 2017

Lincolnshire Churches. St John the Baptist Church at Scampton.

"Scampton is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. The population of the civil parish including Brampton and Broadholme at the 2011 census was 1,358. It is situated 5 miles (8.0 km) north from Lincoln, 10 miles (16.1 km) south-east from Gainsborough, and west from the A15 road."



Dambusters Inn

"In the civil parish, between the village and the A15, is RAF Scampton. The airfield first opened in 1916 as Home Defence Flight Station Brattleby, becoming Scampton the following year, and then closing in 1919; it re-opened in 1936 as RAF Scampton.

The Dambusters Inn on High Street contains RAF and Second World War memorabilia.

Scampton church of St John the Baptist is mainly 18th century with parts from the 17th century. In its churchyard are buried many service war dead, 64 British Commonwealth and 8 German."


(The above information and image courtesy of Wikipedia.)

RAF Scampton was were the "Dambusters", 617 squadron were
based for their famous attack on the Mohne & Edersee dams in
the Ruhr, valley using the bouncing bombs designed and invented
by Barnes Wallace.




In a side Chapel can be seen a display of wall plaques remembering all the RAF Squadrons
that have flown from RAF Scampton. 




Each plaque celebrates a squadron that flew from RAF Scampton.

This one celebrates the RAF Aerobatic Team,
the Red Arrows. 
RAF Scampton is still the home of this world famous
display team and local residents enjoy a regular display over
the fields of Lincolnshire when they are practising their display.


Another reminder of how this church supports the RAF and
Scampton Airbase is the RAF Ensign in the nave of the church.