Tuesday 17 September 2013

Weekend at the Asylum....2013.

I visited the "Weekend at the Asylum" event at Lincoln over the weekend of 14th & 15th September, 2013.  It's a meeting of Steam Punk enthusiasts and is the largest gathering in Europe.  Back in April 2013 I posted a few images of Steam Punk characters that I took at  last years' Lincoln Steam and Vintage Rally.  A small group of them were there but the "Asylum"  gathering was a gigantic event dedicated purely to Steam Punk.  Lots of photo opportunities of some of the most bizarre characters and imaginative accessories I have ever seen, the overall theme though is friendliness and fun, nothing was too much trouble for the "Steam Punks" and I found them a most friendly and accommodating community.  If any of them view my blog, thankyou for an enjoyable occasion and special thanks to Nikki & Mat who I photographed a lot.   I attempted to research what Steam Punk is all about but it is very difficult to describe in just a few words.  Look it up in Wikipedia, my description of it is simply good wholesome fun and very strange but entertaining.  

Note the goggles!!

One of the most popular "embelishments" to the overall theme are these variations
on the goggles, worn on top of the headgear.  Some are more intricate than others.


Man & Wife enjoying a day out?

Two very colourful young ladies who were very happy to pose for me.
They seem to be looking for a spot of lunch.

Decisions, decisions!


More goggles but also a very elaborate gun, another favorite accessory!




This young lady seemed more like a mime artist but still made
a very colorful subject.

This is Montague Jacques Fromage, an entertainer from America.
Now he was a really colorful character, a professional entertainer
and I found him extremely interesting to talk to.

A lot of the accessories the Steam Punks wear are made by themselves but all manner
of items can be bought at stalls like this one.


This couple were very obliging and I took many photographs of them.
Here are just a few to end this posting.


The brass-work and tooling on the leather is really impressive
and makes a really good subject for a photographer.


Don't mess with this lady!

More impressive craft work.


An ornate gun!

This is just a few of the pictures taken at "The Asylum", I will add more
in future postings.

All pictures taken on a Panasonic FZ150.


No comments:

Post a Comment