Monday 14 August 2023

Humberston Fitties.

 The beach at Humberston Fitties is just south of Cleethorpes and is a popular location for both visitors and local folk.

Member of the nearby Humber Mouth Yacht Club moor their boats on the beach for the summer season.

A passing cargo ferry heading to the the Humber Ports.

Sandhills are protected from erosion by the sea with substantial structures.

Hail Sand Fort on the south side of the Humber Estuary, one of two WW1 forts.
In the background is Spurn Point Lighthouse and a large windfarm beyond,
out in the North Sea.


A few people going out to enjoy a day on the beach.

The Fitties beach is adjacent to the RSPB Tetney reserve and here you can see how the 
saltmarsh is encroaching onto the beach.


Sea defences.


Dogs are allowed along the beach at the Fitties.


The earlier cargo ferry passing behind the fort.

Sand patterns created by the wind.

These hardy folk are making good use of their windbreak on their edge of the nature reserve.

Marram Grass, used to bind the sand dunes together.

A more dramatic illustration of the saltmarsh and how it's creeping over the sandy beach.

A couple of locals having a break.

The "Buck Beck" flows down from the Lincolnshire Wolds and out onto the beach here.



It was a very cold, windy day but these hardy souls are enjoying the solitude
out in the sand dunes. 

Another couple of hardy souls.

There are lots of caravan parks along the Lincolnshire coast and these caravans
enjoy views out to sea.

The Buck Beck flowing through Cleethorpes on it's way to the sea.




In a nearby car park I got talking to this chap with his camper van, and his trusty
little Jack Russel dog.


Nikon Z50 + 50-150 lens.


8 comments:

  1. The beach seems quite a distance to walk, but lots of fresh air. Good to hear that dogs are welcome. The sea defences look like they will do what they are made for. Some lovely photos, David, enjoyed the post very much, it gave a real taste of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an area the visitors don't vist very often and has year round interest. Lots of geese and wildfowl come here for the winter and it's popular with "twitchers". It can be dangerous out at low tide with mud banks and sinking sand, similar to Morecombe Bay. Thanks for visiting Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got lots of great dog photos! This looks like an interesting area that everyone enjoys. Your shot of the encroaching marsh really gives a good idea of the changing seascape. I wonder what it was like 50 years ago. I was interested to see the wind farm in the background as I’ve recently seen a program about Grimsby and the controversy surrounding the plans for offshore wind. It does look like a cold day but everyone everywhere loves a sunny day on a beach it seems.Best wishes as always, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thanks visiting my blog. Grimsby has become the centre for the North Sea wind farm support vessels and Hull, on the opposite side of the estuary is where the North Sea turbine towers are made.
      The controversy is with how the wind farms might affect the fishing.
      Take care, David

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I seem to have missed your post here, David. I love these beach photos. You capture the people and the dogs in such a great context and they're excellent action images. I love the colours as well. I think I'm going to look up that Nikon. The little Jack Russel is wonderful. Did you take Popcorn with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These photos were taken before my wife died so no, Popcorn didn't go with me. He stayed at home & my daughter looked after my wife to let me go out for a short while.
      The camera is great, not top of the Nikon range but ideal for me. Thank you for comment Val

      Delete
  5. The dog in the last picture is thinking '- oh come on, just take the picture, you know your blog followers are going to love me' ;) :0 ;) I love the old beach shacks at Humberston Fitties . Great to see the beach x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often like to photograph peoples dogs when I'm out & about. Thanks for visiting my blog Lulu.

      Delete