Friday 15 March 2019

Barton Haven Boatyard. (Set 2 of 2).

Inside one of the large workshops was a boat undergoing a major refit.


I asked how they got this hull into the workshop; the roof slides back in sections and then
the hull is lifted, by crane, and lowered onto the cradles where it now rests.

The area below the waterline has been covered with copper sheets, this is where the 
expression "Copper Bottomed" originates from.  It protects the hull from Boat Worm
which is a problem in the warmer seas and can attack wooden hulls.


Tools of the trade, I like to photograph them as a still life.



The copper bottom can be seen better here.

I was invited up to see the decking being replaced.

Here the Shipwright is demonstrating how the planking fits together 
and is locked & glued in place. 

More tools of the trade, he was keen for me to include the little plane in the picture.

Back on the public side for the last image.  

I enjoyed my visit to "Barton Haven Boatyard".  Thankyou to the owner + Rob and 
the other men there for allowing me to photograph their place of work.

Olympus EM10 Mk2 + 9-18 M Zuiko lens.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent, a category of photos that could well be treasured in years to come - to see how things once were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating - it's interesting to see the inside of the work area..... thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete