Tuesday 3 March 2020

The village of Utterby.

Utterby is a village in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire and sits on the A16 10 miles south of Grimsby & 4 miles north of Louth.

In the centre of the village is the Parish Church of St. Andrew.

An information board provides details of various points of interest
in the village, I picked out one or two.





The church interior is very well maintained.


A plaque on the north wall commemorates Harold Bedson of the East India Company.
He died in 1819 and yes, I should have removed the two blue chairs.




The view from the Chancel, looking back, through the Choir & into the Nave.

The Manor House is opposite the church.


One of the reasons I visited Utterby was to see & photograph the packhorse bridge.


The unique feature of a packhorse bridge is the absence of any side walls which allowed 
the horses to traverse the bridge with wide, heavily laden packs slung on either side of them.


My final photo from Utterby is of St. Andrew's Church, viewed from the packhorse bridge.

Olympus EM1 Mk2 + 25mm lens.


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely and unusual church. It's always interesting how so many churches are built on the ruins or position of a much older religious site.
    Love the Packhorse Bridge, to think of all the people who have crossed over and the stories they could tell.
    Super photos and post David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, I've known about the packhorse bridge for a long time but when I researched it I found there are two more in Lincolnshire so now I want to find them.

    ReplyDelete