Sunday 15 March 2020

A Blast from the Past.

 A blogging friend posted a few old images on his blog so I've done the same here.  Please take a look at Mike's blog by clicking the link below.

The pics I've posted here were taken on the 1st of July 2005 on a Canon EOS 300D + an 18-125mm Sigma lens.  I've processed them in modern software but with absolutely minimal enhancement.

The first set is from a location regular blog viewers will find only too familiar, sorry to bore you with them. I was photographing the Humber Bridge and the Barton Haven Boatyard even back in 2005!











 This set is from the Far Ings Nature Reserve on the banks of the Humber Estuary, just a few miles south of the Humber Bridge.

The broken stumps in the foreground are all that's left of a jetty here for loading Terrcotter RoofingTiles onto Barges.  A tileworks was once here and all that remains of it now is some derelict buildings in the wood behind here.




 Industrial remains from the tileworks and jetty are strewn all around.


 An old chain half buried in the beach with seaweed, exposed at low tide.


 I imagined this had the appearance of a map of the world?
Seen on some old laminated timber, quite modern really, probably washed up.


 The beach around the old jetty appears to be a mix of sand & pebbles.  However, on closer
inspection it's thousands of small terracotter fragments washed smooth by years of tidal
action.   They're all the broken or rejected tiles that had been dumped on the beach
alongside the barges.  see next pic.


 I collect a couple of bags of these whenever we visit the location.  They are of course very
salty from the sea water but after soaking in fresh water for a few days they make lovely
topping for my flower tubs.


The last pic is of some Wild Oats that have colonised the are with this frond arching over
some old timber.



3 comments:

  1. Firstly many thanks for the link.
    Thanks also for the wonderful set of photos, I enjoyed them all. The Humber Bridge is special, I've never visited there myself so good to see the photos and of the boatyard. Love the red fragments, I know my wife and I would collect these up to take home - as we do with various pebbles and stones from the Cornish beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Mike. If over 70s have to self isolate the blog will be a way to occupy ourselves and, having looked thro' my archives, we can recycle images. Just hope no-one remembers they might have appeared on my blog in the past!! 😯

      Delete
    2. The virus situation is feeling serious now. If we have to self-isolate I can think of a few projects to keep me occupied and, hopefully, I'll be able to use some of my old photos for the blog. We shall see. Hope you and your wife stay well.

      Delete